Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dragons to Slay

I've got a lot of dragons out there - huge hurtles that challenge my healthy lifestyle. One of the biggest dragons in my life is the work "food day." I try to plan for the day and bring a healthy option, but when I get in to work, there's a table filled with a glorious assortment of donuts, bagels, brownies, cookies, chips, dip, etc. I usually can't help myself.

Today was one such day. I actually forgot about the food day and didn't bring anything to share. Typical "food day" rules would say that I shouldn't get to partake in the other food since I didn't contribute. Yeah, it didn't go down like that at all.

I returned to the food table time and again. At one point, it seemed almost surreal - I knew I shouldn't be eating more food but I was walking back to my desk with a full plate. Where was my willpower? Where was my shame? Buried under a plate of brownies, evidently.

I regret to say that the dragon most definitely won today. I didn't even put up a fight really. What I did do was write down every last mouthful and add up all of the calories so that I could see exactly what I was doing to myself. During my 8 hour shift, I ingested a whopping 2790 calories! I will have a very light dinner and get some cardio in tonight but it's still more calories than I had wanted/needed to have today.

I am going to really think long and hard about ways to fight this dragon. Asking others to bring healthy food, setting a strict limit on what I can put on my plate, or avoiding the table altogether. I'm going to write all of my ideas down and store them away until the next "food day" is announced. Then I can pull them out so I'm prepared for battle.

The work "food day" is a dragon that I know I can triumph over. Next time I plan to walk away the victor!

5 comments:

  1. Do it one time and you will wonder how that little lizard thing ever fooled us into thinking it was a giant dragon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH! Too bad you are faced with this every day. Most people would find this very challenging.

    It definitely helps me to plan and to have things to eat that I REALLY like and feel excited about eating. . .sometimes that can be a jelly sandwich as a snack, or a nice firm apple with peanut butter (I keep a tablespoon measuring spoon at my desk and decadent honey roasted peanut butter in my drawer), or graham crackers, or bite size things that I can keep popping--like fresh cherries.

    When I see the other foods, I say to myself very firmly--"Oh! You have X at your desk. . . you get to eat that!"

    I also say, "That is not for you."

    And I feel really glad if they have the same things as treats every time because that is less tempting to me than new things. . .with old standbys--even favorites. . ."I can say, I can always have that later, or again, just not today."

    But the biggest thing that helps me when I have the peace to do it is to simply think about what is going to give me long term happiness instead of short term pleasure. Sometimes I start to hate myself by the first bite and each one just makes it worse. . . But I know if I SKIP it, I will feel good about it, later that day--and tomorrow, and when I step on the scale.

    Don't count on others to do it for you with healthy treats. . . they won't. Slay that dragon
    ! Stand on its carcas, ROAR, and plant your little blue bird flag of success! (Hope that wasn't too much! I'm routing for ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Checking in to see how the DRAGON is tempting you! I hope everything is going okay- don't forget to check-in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    Checking in to see if you're still around.
    I hope you haven't given up.
    Please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Bluebird!!!
    Surely the dragons didn't win???

    Again a plea ... please come back!

    ReplyDelete