Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Try Try Again

Well... I made my lunch last night so that my Black Bird alter ego couldn't find reasons for me to skip making it in the morning. However, a new nemesis - Dodo Bird - caused me to forget that lunch on the counter as I was walking out of the house. Argh!

The bad news is that I drove through McDonald's at lunch. The good news is that I only had a salad and a coffee.

In my efforts to thwart that Black Bird voice, I think I became much more aware of her. This morning, I noticed she was telling me that I deserved a yummy drive-thru breakfast. That it would help me eat healthy the rest of the day by filling me up. I was able to stop and ask myself "Why do I deserve a drive-thru breakfast? I haven't done anything special and in all reality, drive-thru breakfast rarely ends up being a prize."

Then later, as I was grocery shopping after work, I heard her tell me things I should pick up and buy... in nearly every aisle! If I had let her drive the cart, I would have come home with chips, ice cream and a huge bag of chocolate.

I'm realizing that of the two people in my head - the real me and the toxic, persuasive alter ego - the wrong person is in control. My homework for the rest of this week is to really pay attention to who is talking in my head and when I identify Black Bird (or one of her negative cronies), I will challenge her ideas!

Now, I'm off to make a lunch for tomorrow AND a note to remind me to take it!

1 comment:

  1. Way to hang tough at Mickey D's. It can be tempting when you forget your lunch.

    ReplyDelete